Saturday, May 25, 2013

Never


How you'd have loved the North Cape and the fjords and the midnight sun...
to sail across the reef at Barbados...
where the blue water turns to green...
to the Falklands where a southerly gale rips the whole sea white!
What we've missed, Lucia! What we've both missed. 
Goodbye, my darling.
- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir


I never cooked you a candlelit dinner, but I planned it. I planned the meal, every detail.  Homemade flan. A refreshing iced green tea. All made to perfection but only in the corners of my mind. 

I never gave you a bithday gift, but I bought one. A thoughful detail that was meant to make you smile but also stir the depths of your sentimental soul. 

I never dug beyond the surface, but I fooled myself, thinking that you shared with me instead of pushing me away. 

I never touched your soul, I never made a mark. I came and went as fast as a summer breeze. 

We never danced, soaking in sweat, promise of pleasure. I danced alone, lost in the music, trying to forget you. 

We never walked, bare feet on the sand, waves kissing our toes. I walked under the rain looking fruitlessly for your smile. 

We never took a picture, our smiles frozen forever in a piece of paper. But I kept your image imprinted in my mind and your body branded in my skin.

We built a handful of great memories but you cut me off, left me dry. And I wonder what it could have been. And I wish you would have given me an opportunity, an option, an open door. But you shut off, and I was left out. And I wonder, I will always wonder, what it could have been...But we never...

No comments:

Post a Comment